Costa Rica is a mountainous country on the narrow Central American isthmus, with Nicaragua to the North and Panamá to the South. To the East and West are the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean, respectively.
- Maximum length: 288 miles from Río Sapoá to Punta Burica
- Minimum length: 74 miles from Tuba to Boca Coronado
- Maximum width: 161 miles from Cabo Santa Elena to Boca del Río Colorado
- The capital: San José Area: 3.66 square miles
- Land area: 19.730 square miles
- Administrative division: 7 provinces
- Total population: 3.510.637 (50.54% men / 49.46% women)